“I’m going to Walt Disney World!” Once you’ve made that decision, you are probably on cloud 9, right? But then come all the details that have to be planned. Number 1 on that list might be: where am I going to stay? For many, those red-shingled roofs and spires scream “Disney”! Before you even make it to the Magic Kingdom bus stop, you catch a glimpse of the beauty and grandeur of Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort and Spa.
Let’s chat about 5 of the TOP TEN of what exactly makes the Grand Floridian GRAND!
1. Magic Kingdom Walkway: This has become a game-changer recently. In the past few months, a walkway opened connecting Magic Kingdom to the Grand Floridian. If you want to get a head start in the morning and not wait on the monorail to start running, this could be perfect for you. You will exit near the monorail station, so just a hop-and-a-skip away from the Magic Kingdom tapstiles. The distance is about .7 miles or about a 10-15 minute walk. It is well-lit for those wanting to walk “home” after park closing. I was there shortly before it finished, but if it had been done during my trip, I would have definitely taken advantage of this for those rope-drop mornings.
2. Walk to Poly: If you are staying at a Magic Kingdom area resort, you may want to spend some time visiting all of these properties. Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort is another one of those extra magical resorts, and by staying at the Grand Floridian, you are just a short walk away. Capt. Cook’s always has something fun to try, and being able to take a quick walk and enjoy views of the lagoon makes this another perk of staying at the Grand Floridian. Anyone else love to get the seasonal desserts at different resorts?
3. Senses Spa: Ahh, the sounds (or lack of sounds) of peace, quiet, and tranquility. Grand Floridian is home to one of the best spas on property: Senses. The Victorian theme continues here as you can relax and unwind in luxury. While Senses isn’t currently open due to COVID protocols, typically, you can choose from spa treatments like massage therapy and facials, hair and make up salon services, and a fitness center. Senses is even home to Character Couture, basically a grown up version of Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique. Remember, everyone is a kid again at Walt Disney World!
4. Christmas: When you think of Christmas at Walt Disney World, what comes to mind? For me, it’s the lobby of the Grand Floridian. Your jaw will drop when you see the tree and gingerbread house. We aren’t talking about your run-of-the-mill tree or gingerbread house. The tree stands at a whopping 40 feet, is covered in thousands of decorations, and is smack-dab in the middle of the lobby. Then we have the gingerbread house, which is 16 feet tall and has over 20 Hidden Mickeys. There is even a Cast Member who stays INSIDE the house selling gingerbread treats. In case you were wondering, it was made with 1050 pounds of honey, 600 pounds of powdered sugar, 700 pounds of chocolate, and, of course, Disney magic and pixie dust! Bet you can’t find all that at your local grocery store!
5. Rooms with a View: I don’t even know where to begin with this one! We had a lagoon view room in Boca Chica on the top floor. This will become my request forever now. We had views of Cinderella Castle, Space Mountain, the train station, and the Contemporary Resort. We could even hear the music around the train station when we sat on our balcony, and believe me, we did that a lot! Words truly can’t do it justice. Truthfully, there doesn't seem to be a bad view from the entire resort!
In part 2, we will cover the amazing dining options available, the pools, and the beauty of this GRAND resort. See ya real soon, friends!
Does the grandness of the Grand Floridian feel like home to you? I am ready to help you book and plan your home-away-from-home vacation. GET STARTED HERE!